BACtrack Skyn: The BACtrack Watch for Alcohol Tracking
14 July, 2022
Many people gather together over alcoholic beverages. Alcohol consumption is a common social activity after work hours. However, the blood alcohol level tends to rise rapidly the more you consume in a short period. As a result, you may feel the intoxicating effects within minutes. For this reason, it can lead to severe impairment of the senses and motor functions. Particularly, high alcohol concentration affects the ability to drive safely. For this reason, alcohol testers like breathalysers help people moderate their consumption. Various devices from Breathalysers New Zealand efficiently estimate the Blood Alcohol Content (BAC). Furthermore, a new way to track the alcohol level is through the BACtrack Skyn. The Skyn is the innovative BACtrack watch specifically for passive alcohol monitoring.
BACtrack Skyn: Features of the BACtrack Watch
The Skyn, also known as the BACtrack Watch, is a wearable alcohol monitor that tracks the blood alcohol level through sweat. The wrist-worn alcohol tracker employs advanced sensors and digital technology to deliver reliable alcohol information. The BACtrack Skyn uses an electrochemical sensor to collect the Transdermal Alcohol Content (TAC) through sweat secretions. It is important to know how alcohol affects the body to understand better how the BACtrack watch works. Firstly, alcohol rapidly moves from the stomach to the bloodstream right after ingestion. Then, portions of alcohol end up in several tissues and organs, and they can be released through exhalation or perspiration. Sweat is a bodily fluid that contains biomarkers, including alcohol content.
The BACtrack watch gathers alcohol information from the sweat and translates it into BAC value. Moreover, the BACtrack Skyn utilise innovative features to get efficient and reliable BAC data. The key features are:
- Proprietary biosensor – the modern sensing technology can trace amounts of ethyl alcohol secreted from the skin. The BACtrack watch also contains a mechanism that induces sweat production. Therefore, it can continuously trace the TAC every twenty seconds without having you move around.
- Smartphone connectivity – the Skyn pairs to an iOS device via Bluetooth to send the TAC data for storing, tracking, and interpreting results. Through the Skyn app, you can see the changes to your alcohol level in a graph.
- Apple Watch band – the Skyn smartwatch also comes with an interchangeable band fully integrated into the Apple Watch.
How to Track Alcohol through the BACtrack Watch
Transdermal tracking through the BACtrack watch is one of the most convenient and non-invasive methods to check alcohol content. To operate the BACtrack Skyn, simply wear the device in your non-dominant hand. Firstly, ensure that the sensing box faces the palm-side of the wrist. Next, press and hold the power button until a blue LED light flashes on. The device will automatically connect to an iOS device via Bluetooth. Finally, the BACtrack Skyn is ready to use. It passively measures the TAC every 20 seconds and sends that data to the Skyn app. Once Skyn has enough TAC data, it can calculate an estimate of the BAC range. From the app, you can see the changes to your BAC level in near real-time.
BACtrack Skyn: Advantages of Using the BACtrack Watch
Wearables like fitness trackers are next-generation devices that can collect, store, and process vital health information. For example, these devices can monitor blood pressure, heart rate, calories burned, and step counts. These data can provide valuable insights into one’s health. Similarly, the BACtrack Skyn offers a revolutionary way to monitor the BAC. Moreover, the BACtrack watch provides the following advantages:
- Continuous alcohol monitoring – the device passively measures the TAC data and updates when there are significant changes in the alcohol level. It can also send text notifications when you’ve reached a certain BAC range. The real-time updates are valuable to prevent you from consuming excessively.
- Monitor consumption patterns – the Skyn app can record the TAC data and show your actual drinking patterns in a graph. You can access it anytime to see your alcohol behaviour.
- Discreet – the wearable wristband is lightweight and unobtrusive to use. Furthermore, tracing alcohol from sweat is not subject to ambient air or external pollutants. Thus, it is less likely to produce false positives.
- Long battery life – the BACtrack watch can last for ten days from a single charge.
- Convenient – alcohol tracking through the BACtrack Skyn is non-invasive and simple. You do not need to perform any procedures to check your alcohol level.
Significance of Alcohol Tracking
Alcohol affects everyone differently. Some people feel intoxicated after one drink, while others can manage more. This is because many factors can influence the BAC. For example, two people consuming the same amount and type of beverage are less likely to have the same BAC results. The factors that affect the BAC are age, gender, body fat content, water and food intake, tolerance level, medications, and metabolism rate. However, some people mistakenly believe they can drive safely despite consuming alcohol. Unfortunately, this has led to numerous road accidents. Therefore, alcohol monitoring is vital to minimise health and safety risks. The BACtrack devices at Breathalysers NZ can estimate the BAC levels accurately. The BACtrack watch can also provide efficient alcohol tracking to keep consumers from going over the legal limit.
In New Zealand, it is illegal to drive with a BAC of 0.05% or above. Law enforcement officers conduct roadside breath test procedures to determine impaired drivers. If your BAC reaches the legal limit, you are subject to fines, prison terms, and driving disqualification. Additionally, you may require to undergo the alcohol interlock program for second or subsequent offences. Therefore, many people use a breathalyser as a go-to device for testing the BAC. The development of wearable alcohol trackers like the BACtrack watch may also significantly improve how we check the BAC. The BACtrack Skyn shows promising prospects for alcohol research and making advances in healthcare treatment.
Device Options at Breathalysers New Zealand
Whether you are a light or regular consumer, checking the BAC level is crucial. Personal devices like the BACtrack watch or breathalysers can effectively determine your intoxication level. Thus, it can help in making informed safety decisions. Breathalysers New Zealand has a wide range of alcohol testers to suit your needs. Most BACtrack breathalysers utilise fuel cell sensor technology to estimate the BAC level accurately. Fuel cell breathalysers are sensitive to ethanol and do not react with other substances. Therefore, it ascertains precise BAC readings. In particular, the BACtrack professional breathalysers have police-grade accuracy, which is suitable for personal and high-volume applications. Lastly, the BACtrack breathalysers have a one-button operation for fast and efficient use. Within 10 to 15 seconds, you can determine your BAC. Undoubtedly, they prove to keep thousands of individuals safe during alcohol consumption.