Benefits of Random Drug Testing in NZ
19 January, 2022
New Zealand’s pre-employment drug testing policy is part of the Government’s welfare reforms. This alcohol and drug policy requires individuals to undergo and pass an alcohol and drug test as part of their application process. Workplace alcohol and drug policies are always effective procedures for companies and business owners. The policies should clearly state what is acceptable and prohibited in the workplace and the repercussions of not following them. The workplace policy should also have straightforward and easy to understand procedures for what happens if an individual does not follow the rules stated. Employers and employees must agree to the given policies with a formal agreement upon employment. These policies will also allow employers to provide random alcohol and random drug testing in NZ workplaces at any time.
Random Alcohol and Random Drug Testing in NZ: Effects
Conducting random drug testing in NZ workplaces is an excellent way to improve workplace safety and productivity. Implementing these procedures may prevent employee drug and alcohol use during working hours. Preventing substance use can also drastically affect the expenses of a company as it can reduce health and safety hazards. Random drug testing is done unannounced and in unforeseeable terms. This method can ensure that everyone has an equal and fair chance of selection for random testing. On the other hand, screening for alcohol is quick and easy. If you or your business needs an alcohol breath tester, BACtrack workplace breathalysers are available for workplace use. These workplace breathalysers use the same fuel cell sensors that you can find in a police officer’s breathalyser. These sensors allow for highly accurate and reliable testing and are less likely to provide false-positive results. BACtrack units are also AS3547 certified for workplace use.
Types of alcohol and drug testing in the workplace:
- Random alcohol and Random Drug Testing in NZ– Tests a randomly selected group of employees. Nowadays, for quick and easy breath alcohol tests, companies use BACtrack workplace breathalysers. Moreover, BACtrack devices only take 10 to 15 seconds to process the results.
- Pre-Employment Drug Test – Employers perform pre-employment drug tests on applicants before offering employment. This type of test is an excellent way to decrease the chances of hiring an individual that is a heavy drug or alcohol user.
- Reasonable Cause – Employers test employees who they suspect are unfit for work. Employers should have clear evidence for this.
- Post-Incident Drug Testing – Tests are done after a workplace accident to check if alcohol or other substances were involved.
- Return to work Drug Testing – This test involves individuals returning to work after a positive test or follow-up test. This test ensures that they have stopped using drugs or alcohol.